Trademark Registration in India
What is Trademark Registration
A Trademark is an important Intellectual property right. It identifies or distinguishes you from the others.
Trademark can be a name, logo, shape, trade dress, sound and smell, basically anything which identifies the source of
origin for goods or services. Trademark may be defined as any mark which is used in relation to goods for the purpose
of indicating, or so as to indicate a connection in the course of trade between goods and some person having the right
as proprietor to use that mark.
In layman’s term Trademark is also known as Brand name registration. Trademark registration in India has now
become very important as many online buyers and sellers websites such as Amazon, flipkart , snapdeal has made
it mandatory to register of any account shall have a trademark application filed in India. Apart from this
Trademark has now made mandatory for filing of liquor license and as well as medicines print labels.
What is the function of Registered Trademark?
The function of a registered trade mark is to give an indication to the purchaser or a possible purchaser:
- As to the manufacture or quality of the goods.
- Trade source from which the goods come.
- The trade hands through which they pass on their way to the market.
Requirements of Trademark registration
It is an important to collect the below listed information which would be required for filing the Trademark Application
form for trademark registration.
- Name of the Applicant – Applicant is basically any person or legal entity that claims the ownership of the Trademark
applied, A trademark can be applied by anyone be it individual/company/proprietor/NGO/Trust/Hindu-undivided
family/proprietorship firm/trust/partnership or Limited liability partnership. In case of joint applicants/partnership
details of all the applicants/ partners.
- Address of Applicant(s) filing the application.
- Nature of the entity filing the application (individual/proprietor/partnership firm/ company/ HUF/ LLC).
- Nature of products/services for which the logo/ mark is used- try to be as specific as possible. Products and services
specified decides the category of the Trademark application.
- Nature of your business (Manufacturer/ Trader/ Service provider).
- If the mark is already in use then the approximate date since when the mark has been in used in India.
- If the trademark has already been used , this use must be supported by supporting documents that can be invoices havin
the trademark name, website details, marketing listings, pamphlets, new paper advertisements etc. basically any document that
has the brand name or trademark details along with date is applicable and admissible proof.
- A copy of the mark/logo (preferably soft copy) for which trademark is sought.
- A signed Power of Attorney or Letter of authorization (Form TM-M-Previously known as TM-48) on Stamp Paper in favour of
- To check your trademark category please check our deatailed Trademark Class Details page. (With Company360 we will search & suggest
the Trademark Agent/ Advocate.
appropriate class for your product/service.)
Benefits of Trademark registration
- It distinguishes you with others.
- Trademark develops as your brand .
- It markets your goods/services.
- It makes easy for your customers to identify you.
- A registered trademark gives you a legal right where you can protect your goodwill from free-riding. A registered Trademark
is also protected by various online portals such as Amazon and Flipkart they have a special system to identify the trademark
known as brand registry through which you may register your trademark on their portal and stop your knock off competitors.
This boosts your sale online and also creates a good consumer base.
- A trademark is not just a mark it is a valuable asset. Brand value is most important asset for any company, it adds
up company’s valuation and sales.
Process of Trademark Registration in India
Step 1: Filing of an Application
Step 2: Examination of the Application
Step 3: Publication of the Application
Step 3.1: Opposition by Third Party (if that happens). Trademark opposition is not Trademark objection and has completely
different process. You may refer details about Trademark opposition here
Step 4: Trademark Hearing before Registrar
Step 5: Registration of Trademark
Trademark registration process has been changed a lot after the introduction of new trademark rules 2017 by the government
of India. Quick summary of these changes the new rules have distinguished the applicant into three main categories:
- Individual/sole proprietorship
- Body corporate
Not only we have three applicant types but fees and requirements for each of the categories has also been changed, now the
Government fees for Trademark application i.e TM-A is Rs 4500 in case of Individual/sole proprietorship and SME/Startup and
Rs 9000 for Body corporates- be it LLP, Partnership firm , Private limited Company or One person Company or NGO/Trust etc.
In case you are a new company and want to file Trademark application on your company’s name, you may now have to shell out
Rs 9000 from your pocket apart from the professional fees.
In order to save this money, you may try to get your company register under start-up scheme or MSME Registration. Learn
how you can save this money with expert post on Udyog Aadhar the Udyog Adhaar is also known as MSME certificate and
UDYAM Adhaar. Please note there is no Government fees for registration of MSME certificate or udyog adhaar.